The American Feed Industry Association, based in Arlington, Va., is the world’s largest organization devoted exclusively to representing the business, legislative and regulatory interests of the U.S. animal feed industry and its suppliers. Founded in 1909 as the American Feed Manufacturers Association, the name changed to AFIA in 1985 to recognize the importance of all types of companies involved in the feed manufacturing industry—from commercial and integrated feed manufacturers, to ingredient suppliers, pet food manufacturers and equipment manufacturers. AFIA is also the recognized leader on international industry developments and holds membership in the International Feed Industry Federation.
Members include more than 600 domestic and international companies and state, regional and national associations. Member companies are livestock, feed and pet food manufacturers, integrators, pharmaceutical companies, ingredient suppliers, equipment manufacturers and companies that supply other products, services and supplies to feed manufacturers.
The feed industry makes a major contribution to food and feed safety, nutrition and the environment, and it plays a critical role in the production of healthy, wholesome meat, milk, fish and eggs. More than 75 percent of the commercial feed in the U.S. is manufactured by AFIA members. Approximately 70 percent of the non-grain ingredients, including soybean meal, distillers co-products, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, yeast products and other miscellaneous/specialty ingredients are also manufactured by AFIA members.
AFIA is committed to representing the total feed industry, as a key segment of the food chain, and member companies’ interests with one industry leadership voice on matters involving federal and state legislation and regulation; keeping members informed of developments important to them; creating opportunities to network and address common issues and interacting with key stakeholders essential to the success of the feed and animal agriculture industries.
- Provide leadership, representation and communicate the U.S. feed industry’s best interests international codes and standards; federal and state legislation and regulation;
- Keep members informed on regulatory and legislative issues, developments and requirements, providing a forum for member action and appropriate education;
- Offer a meaningful platform of industry services to help enhance individual member company success;
- Interact with government, regulators, educators and other organizations on crucial feed and animal agricultural issues;
- Influence global relationships and expand international trade opportunities for the industry; and
- Communicate AFIA’s purpose and membership value to all internal and external audiences.
2101 Wilson Blvd., Suite 810
Arlington, VA 22201
T: (703) 524-0810
F: (703) 524-1921