AFIA Adds NSF International as Certifying Body for Safe Feed/Safe Food
NSF is one of the leading certifying bodies for Safe Quality Food certifications. The company joins Eurofins Scientific and Validus as the third certifying body authorized to conduct FSC36 Safe Feed/Safe Food audits and certifications. These certifying bodies are also authorized to conduct FSC34 and FSC32 certification programs.
"We're excited to add NSF International as a certifying body for FSC36 Safe Feed/Safe Food," said Henry Turlington, AFIA director of quality and manufacturing regulatory affairs. "With their vast experience with SQF and broad reach within the market, NSF's addition provides a new and welcomed resource to members and facilities within the feed industry seeking Safe Feed/Safe Food certification."
Three of the Safe Feed/Safe Food certifications are administered through the Safe Quality Food Institute.
- FSC36 Safe Feed/Safe Food
- Promotes the fundamentals for compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act
- Designed primarily for North American feed manufacturers and ingredient suppliers
- FSC34 Manufacture of Animal Feeds
- Global Food Safety Initiative recognized program that meets FSMA regulatory requirements
- Designed for feed manufacturers and ingredient suppliers
- FSC32 Manufacture of Pet Food
- GFSI recognized program that meets FSMA regulatory requirements
- Designed for pet food manufacturers or ingredient suppliers
AFIA's Safe Feed/Safe Food Certification Program was launched in 2004 to promote quality and feed safety within the feed industry. The Safe Feed/Safe Food Certification Program can be used by feed manufacturers as well as feed ingredient suppliers. Since the launch of the program, separate programs for exports to the European Union, pet food and pet food ingredients also have been developed and are based on either the EU Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points approach or the global food safety initiative approach, which is also a HACCP program. More information about all of these programs can be found at .