Educational Resources & Events
The American Feed Industry Association provides educational resources for members to continue learning about the feed industry and feed safety. See below for the complete list of educational resources and events offered by AFIA.
- Food Safety Modernization Act Qualified Individual Training Video
The FSMA animal food rule requires facilities to train “qualified individuals” who manufacture, process, pack or hold animal food to ensure those employees are qualified to perform their assigned duties. This 15 minute training video provides information on animal food hygiene and animal food safety, including the importance of employee health and personal hygiene.
- Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) Training Course
This 20-hour course provides the “standardized curriculum,” which is recognized by the Food and Drug Administration as adequate for PCQI training, as required by FSMA. AFIA offers this course annually to a limited number of students interested in obtaining their PCQI certification.
- AFIA/KSU-500: Fundamentals of Feed Manufacturing Online Course
Each quarter, AFIA and Kansas State University offer a six-week online course that provides participants with an in-depth understanding of feed manufacturing, covering topics such as: the process flow from particle size reduction to batching and mixing, conditioning and pelleting, boilers, post-pellet systems, packaging and loadout and maintenance.
- AFIA/KSU-500 On Demand
AFIA is offering select content from its well-respected AFIA/KSU 500, “Fundamentals of Feed Manufacturing,” online course and is making it available in smaller segments online and on-demand. Employees are able sign up for and take any of the available courses at a time that best fits their schedules. The modules include narrated presentations and knowledge checks.
- Pet Food Safety Best Practices for Dry Pet Food and Ingredient Manufacturers
These member-only recommendations were prepared as an educational document by the AFIA Pet Food Committee for AFIA member companies to provide suggested Pet Food Safety Best Practices to minimize potential contamination of pet food products and ingredients. These guidelines were written to promote safe pet foods and products at all pet food and ingredient facilities.
- Feed Manufacturing Technology is a must-have resource for everyone involved in the production and manufacture of food for livestock, poultry, aquaculture, horses and pets. This comprehensive resource is a great reference for everyday operations as it covers topics such as employee safety and health, materials handling and storage, sanitation and pest management and quality assurance. It also includes detailed information on planning new facilities or remodeling existing facilities. Available in an a print version. To order, click here.
- Feed Education Program at the International Production & Processing Expo (IPPE)
The half-day training session updates participants on recent changes from several federal agencies, including the U.S. Departments of Labor and Transportation, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Food and Drug Administration and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Pet Food Conference at IPPE
This daylong educational conference covers a variety of topics from regulatory and technical aspects of production to product claims, marketing and nutrition. Learn more here.
- Liquid Feed Symposium
This event is designed to educate and promote all segments of the liquid feed industry, including manufacturers, nutritionists, equipment manufacturers, sales and marketing and additional industry support companies. Learn more here.
- Equipment Manufacturers Conference
This conference focuses on updating the equipment sector of the feed industry on current issues and trends, providing an environment for learning from educational speakers and industry leaders. Learn more here.
- Feed Industry Institute
The Feed Industry Institute (FII) provides a great educational forum to learn about the feed and ingredient industry from those who know it best — industry experts! In addition to the educational program, you’ll have the perfect opportunity to mingle with colleagues in the feed, pet food and ingredient industries.
Register for an Upcoming Event