AFIA-KSU 500 On-Demand
Attention Plant Managers: Do your employees need more training?
Or, are there employees in your work force who need to understand more about the animal food industry or their specific role in your operation?
Do you have budget constraints and can’t afford for employees to be away from their jobs for extended periods of time to complete skills training?
We have a solution for you!
AFIA is offering select content from its well-respected AFIA/KSU 500, “Fundamentals of Feed Manufacturing,” online course and is making it available in smaller segments online and on-demand.
Employees will be able sign up for and take any of the available courses at a time that best fits their schedules. The modules include narrated presentations and knowledge checks. Participants will receive a certificate of completion after successfully going through the module. Please note, once a module is purchased, the participant will have 30 days to complete it.
Available modules include:
- AFIA 500A: Overview of U.S. Feed Industry and History ($79 AFIA member & $99 non-member)
- This module covers the evolution of the U.S. animal food industry, including governmental oversight of the industry and current issues. Participants will learn about the history of how the formula feed industry began in the U.S., how the introduction of new ingredients changed formula feed manufacturing, when the different types of processing equipment were introduced to the feed industry and how feed regulations affected the industry.
- AFIA 500B: Batching, Mixing and Particle Size Reduction ($99 AFIA member & $119 non-member)
- This module covers the types of equipment used to batch ingredients, how to calculate the batch cycle time and how to determine the correct order of ingredient addition to a mixer. Participants will learn about the importance of feed uniformity on animals, the types of mixers and factors affecting mixer performance and the purpose of the grinding process; and it also covers hammermills and roller mills. The module will also cover factors affecting grinding efficiency, measuring and expressing particle size.
- AFIA 500C: Pelleting Process ($129 AFIA member & $149 non-member)
- This module covers the benefits of pelleting, the purpose of conditioning, the principles of conditioning and pellet mills and pellet die specifications. Participants will also learn about the general function of pellet coolers, types of pellet coolers and factors involved in the efficiency of pellet coolers.
- AFIA 500D: Finished Product Packaging and Bulk Loadout ($79 AFIA member & $99 non-member)
- This module covers the finished product packaging, warehousing, product labeling, truck fleet management and feed recall.
- AFIA 500E: Basics of Quality Assurance ($79 AFIA member & $99 non-member)
- This module will cover three topics: fundamentals of a good quality assurance program and the importance of a quality control program; factors to consider when establishing a quality assurance program; and fundamentals of the feed safety plan hazard analysis and preventive controls.
- AFIA 500F: Boilers and Boiler Efficiency ($79 AFIA member & $99 non-member)
- This module covers the boiler and steam definitions and energy balance, water treatment, boiler designs and steam harness.
- AFIA 500G: Preventive Maintenance, Sanitation and Energy Conservation ($79 AFIA member & $99 non-member)
- This module provides an overview of preventive maintenance, including developing a program, costs and inventory management.
To purchase a module, please click here.
To access the AFIA member promotion code, please click here or contact Erica Burson, AFIA’s membership and database specialist email@example.com.
To purchase a module, please click here. Payment and management of the modules is handled by Kansas State University. If you have any questions or if you are a supervisor making a purchase for an employee, please contact Trina Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org or (785) 532-4447. Please click here for a technology help document.